DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MAY 1
Confetti Stage‘s Confetti Fest is an original short play festival that seeks to develop and highlight local playwrights. We are seeking plays written by Capital Region residents to be considered for participation in a play development process and our 18th annual short play festival in October 2022. Confetti Fest is Downtown Albany’s longest running non-professional original works festival. Previous Confetti Fest shows have been chosen to perform at the TANYS (Theatre Association of New York State) and ESTA (Eastern States Theater Association) Festivals and have won awards for acting, directing, writing, and technical achievements.
The Play Development Process:
Confetti Stage believes in supporting the improvement and development of an artist’s skills through the production process, and we extend this philosophy to script development for playwrights prior to the rehearsal period. The aim of this process is to help festival playwrights further explore their scripts by meeting with each other and offering mutual feedback after a table read.
Playwrights who submit their work to Confetti Fest 18 can expect and must agree to participate in this script development period during the summer 2022 months prior to rehearsals starting in August 2022.
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED OR POSTMARKED NO LATER THAN April 15, 2022.
SUBMISSIONS MUST BE:
● Less than 25 minutes long. Judges WILL read selected plays out loud to get a sense of the length. If your play goes over, an agreement to shorten the length before auditions will be mandatory to your play’s acceptance. Confetti Stage reserves the right to eliminate a play from the festival if this guideline is not followed. Playwrights will be encouraged to work with their playwright peers and directors in finding ways to trim
● Typed In 12-pt, Times New Roman font
● Applicable to our mission statement (see below)
● An original work by a playwright currently local to the Capital Region
● Works that have NOT been previously produced are strongly encouraged. This includes script readings on Zoom, or any other public showings of your work.
● Multiple submissions are accepted, but please make a separate submission for each script
● Playwrights may not request to be a director or actor for their own play (they are welcome to audition for or apply to direct a different show)
Please include, on a separate cover page OR in your submission email:
● Playwright’s contact information, including name, email address, local address, and phone number
● The following statement: “By submitting [title of play] by [playwright’s name] for consideration, I am agreeing to actively participate in the Confetti Fest 18 script development and revision process before the start of rehearsals. I understand that if I cannot or do not actively participate in play development, the play may be removed from the festival lineup.”
Please include with the copy of your script:
● A brief synopsis of your play (100 words max.; think what you’d like publicity for your play to say).
● Estimated running time.
● Character breakdown.
● Set and scene descriptions.
● Tech requirements (include lighting, sound, costume, prop/scenery requirements).
● Any previous workshop or production history.
*Please do NOT include your name or any other identifying information in the body of your script*
Participants of Confetti Fest can expect:
● A fun, collaborative process
● The opportunity to sit in during auditions and offer advice before the casting takes place (although not during the casting process)
● Full credit in all programs and promotional materials for the festival
● Optional adjudication by the Theatre Association of New York State (TANYS), as well as the possibility of having your work selected to perform at state (TANYS) and/or regional (ESTA) theater festivals (pending approval and availability of cast and director)
● Scripts are chosen through a blind selection process by a committee of readers.
● Playwrights will be notified in June if their submission is chosen and will be approached by the selection committee with information on when the playwright table read/feedback session will begin.
Submissions can be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to: