at SLOC Musical Theater November 4- 13, 2022
Book by Austin Winsberg
Music and Lyrics by Alan Zachary and Michael Weiner
Director: Francesco C. Archina
Music Director: Cameron Stevens
Choreographer: Mani McCalmon
Producer: Michaela Torres
Stage Manager: Sara Fredericks
Sunday, August 7 and Monday, August 8, 2022
Sign in begins at 6:30 pm. Auditions begin at 7:00 pm.
You only need to attend one of these sessions.
Callbacks will be by invite only and will be held on Wednesday, August 10, 2022
Schenectady Light Opera Company in the Education Building
418 Liberty St., Schenectady, NY 12305
Free parking is available in the city owned lot across the street.
November 4-13, 2022
(Thursday, Fridays, and Saturdays at 8pm, Sundays at 2pm)
SLOC Mainstage, 427 Franklin Street, Schenectady, NY 12305
What to Prepare:
· Please prepare 16 to 32 bars of a Pop-Rock contemporary styled song. Singing from the show is encouraged, but not mandatory.
· An accompanist will be provided so please have sheet music in the correct key. NO acapella singing will be allowed.
· Please note you will only be asked to dance at callbacks, which will be by invitation only
· Sides from the show will be provided at auditions.
· Please bring a calendar with all your conflicts to the audition as well.
· Rehearsals will be held on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings, from 7-10PM, and on Sunday afternoons 2-5PM. This is subject to change based on cast/crew availability.
· Rehearsals will begin on Monday, August 22, 2022.
· Attendance is mandatory for Tech Week (10/30 – 11/3) and all performances. Please note our dark day will take place on Halloween, Monday, October 31st.
Commitment to COVID Safety: The health and safety of our artists, staff, and audience members are our first priority. Please review our full COVID Health & Safety Guidelines. All actors, staff and crew will be expected to follow these guidelines including wearing a mask at all times while on the SLOC campus.
*All actors, staff, and crew will need to show proof that they are fully vaccinated (including at least 1 booster) by the time rehearsal begins. *
About the Show:
When blind date newbie Aaron is set up with serial-dater Casey, a casual drink at a busy New York restaurant turns into a hilarious high-stakes dinner. As the date unfolds in real time, the couple quickly finds that they are not alone on this unpredictable evening. In a delightful and unexpected twist, Casey and Aaron’s inner critics take on a life of their own when other restaurant patrons transform into supportive best friends, manipulative exes and protective parents, who sing and dance them through ice-breakers, appetizers and potential conversational land mines. Can this couple turn what could be a dating disaster into something special before the check arrives?
Schenectady Light Opera Company pledges to continue advocating for and aiming to build a diverse cast reflective of the Schenectady community. Any and all ethnicities, BIPOC actors, and actors of all gender identities are encouraged to audition for all roles. Whether or not you’ve been part of past SLOC productions, we welcome you to audition!
Please note that in addition to the characters listed below, we will be adding an ensemble of 4 to 8 performers that may also be considered as understudies or swings.
*Age ranges are suggestions, we encourage anyone 18 years of age or older to audition!
Aaron: (Late 20s-30s Male Identifying. Tenor)
New Yorker. Delightfully awkward. He has never been on a blind date before. Out of his element, nervous, and trying way too hard.
Casey: (Late 20s-30s, Female Identifying. Mezzo-Soprano)
Daring, bold, edgy, and delightfully controversial. All as a defense mechanism from what she’s been through. Conceals her feelings to keep herself safe. Has a flare for comedic timing.
Waiter: (Anywhere from 20-40, Male identifying. Tenor)
A career WAITER, who dabbles with songwriting and performing on the side. A romantic, he is on the queer spectrum. He wants nothing more than for love to blossom in his restaurant…but even more in his heart. A closet poet as well.
**WOMEN 1-2, & MAN 1-2 will double as multiple roles. Below are traditional casting options, this is subject to change depending on casting:
Woman #1: Grandma Ida, Lauren, Facebook & Aaron’s Mother.
(20s – 30s; Female Identifying, belt/mix Mezzo-soprano)
· LAUREN is happily (somewhat) married, she is more concerned with listening to her own advice than actually helping her sister Casey.
· GRANDMA IDA is Aaron’s dead grandmother, who feels strongly that her grandson should marry a Jewish woman.
· FACEBOOK verbal representation of Casey and Aaron’s social media posts.
· AARON’S MOTHER: An absentee mother, regretful with her decisions.
Man #1: Gabe, YouTube, British Ex-boyfriend, Casey’s Judgmental Father.
(20s – 30s; Male identifying, bari-tenor)
· GABE is Aaron’s best friend and a womanizer. Has every answer to every question about women that has ever been asked.
· YOUTUBE verbal representation of Casey and Aaron’s social media posts.
· BRITISH EX BOYFRIEND is a bad boy from Casey’s past. Cocky and neglectful, he is overcompensating.
· CASEY’S JUDGMENTAL FATHER appears when Aaron imagines what it would be like to date a woman outside of his faith.
Woman #2: Allison, Google, Megaphone girl.
(20s – 30s; Female identifying, Alto-Mezzo)
· ALLISON is Aaron’s ex-fiancé. Gorgeous, sexy, uptight, conservative, controlling, manipulative.
· GOOGLE verbal representation of Casey and Aaron’s social media posts.
· MEGAPHONE GIRL loudly reflects the insecurities and doubts Aaron has in finding a new flame.
Man #2: Reggie, Aaron’s Future Son, Edgy Rocker Ex, Instagram.
(20s – 30s; Male Identifying, Tenor)
· REGGIE is Casey’s fabulously fierce gay identifying grand over-imaginative best friend. Easily sent into a tailspin of jealousy, paranoia, and drama.
· EDGY ROCKER EX is a bad boy from Casey’s past. Cocky and neglectful, he is overcompensating.
· AARON & CASEY’S FUTURE SON a premonition of the future; he spooks Aaron about his potential future with Casey.
· INSTAGRAM verbal representation of Casey and Aaron’s social media posts.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email us: FirstDate@sloctheater.org and we will get back to you! We look forward to seeing you at auditions this August!