2023 Sharon Playhouse Season
Technical Director – Job Posting
The Sharon Playhouse, a professional theater located in the foothills of the beautiful Berkshire Mountains in Sharon, CT, is seeking to fill the role of Technical Director for its 2023 season (May 8 – Oct. 22).
The Sharon Playhouse offers you the opportunity to work alongside many professional artists from NYC and the Tri-State area. Our upcoming season the mainstage productions of Something Rotten, Oliver!, Our Town, and The Lifespan of a Fact and the youth productions of Peter and the Starcatcher, Newsies, Jr., A Year with Frog and Toad, Kids, and Sharon Playhouse Stars.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Operate, maintain, and safeguard the technical assets of the theater, including supervising the use of lighting, sound, communications equipment, and the use and maintenance of stage facilities.
- Determine the necessary technical supports, such as lighting, sound, staging, and special needs, necessary for special events and performances presented at the Playhouse in advance of production dates.
- Advise on scenic, lighting, and sound designers on the technical specifications, costs, and usage of technical equipment required for the individual shows, and supervise the implementations of approved technical designs.
- Supervise and assist with set and stage construction and management.
- Assist in training and assignment of interns and/or paid technical staff.
- Monitor the condition of technical equipment and perform preventative maintenance. When necessary, arrange for the repair/replacement of equipment that aligns to the approved operational budget.
- Attend production meetings and technical rehearsals in order to supervise, support, and assist in the technical aspects of all Playhouse productions/events.
- Make recommendations to Playhouse leadership regarding capital purchases of technical equipment.
- Participate in cross-departmental venue support to ensure overall success of event and venue operations.
- Coordinate with Playhouse management on all facility and staff scheduling needs.
- With the management team, organize, execute and maintain the cleanliness of stage, shops/storage, and support areas, including buildings and grounds.
- As a member of the senior staff, this position involves training and mentorship of The Sharon Playhouse interns with respect to your given area of technical expertise.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Technical Direction or Production is preferred.
- Strong computer proficiency, specifically with Excel and drafting (AutoCAD/Vectorworks).
- Applicants must be able to work both independently and as a crew leader.
Dates of employment are from May 8 – October 22, 2023. Compensation: $16K-$19K. Please click HERE to apply Please include “Technical Director”
No phone calls please.
The Sharon Playhouse is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.