TITLE: Director, summer musical for young adults. Proctors, Schenectady.
Produced on the Mainstage of Proctors beautiful 2,500 seat theatre, the summer musical features the best and brightest talents from high schools and colleges in the Capital Region. Part of the theatre’s Broadway Camp, the musical brings together a professional team of director, musical director, choreographer, designers and production crew to provide a rich experience for students who have a genuine interest in Theatre. The ideal candidate must be creative, energetic, communicative, versatile and disciplined with 2-3 years experience directing musicals on a large scale. In addition to directing responsibilities, the Director helps create daily schedules for the acting company. Previous shows have been ALL SHOOK UP, PIPPIN, AIDA, LES MISERABLES and RENT.
- Work with Collaborative School of the Arts Director, Programming and Creative team to select the annual show, with consideration of scheduling, budget, staffing, casting, and production elements.
- To recruit, hire and coordinate the artistic, creative and production teams.
- To develop series of masterclasses and other educational opportunities that will provide students with industry training.
- To coordinate materials and logistics for auditions and casting.
- To create build and delivery schedules and work in coordination with the Collaborative Theatrical Shop and Production Director
- To coordinate and conduct regular production meetings.
- To establish duties, roles and oversight of production crew, including venue staff, independent contractors, apprentices and interns.
- To run rehearsals and provide feedback to creative team, designers and actors
- To work in coordination with theatre administration to create content for Playbill, and contribute to create proper promotional materials for the show.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Minimum BA in Theatre or relevant experience
- Experience in arts/directing environment, Broadway experience preferred
- Experience working with youth minimum of 2 years
- Producing and budget management experience
- Project management, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- An understanding of the theatre making process and the challenges and demands of a producing theatre
- PT as needed Jan-June, FT July 5 to July 30, Monday – Friday, from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm
- Shows on July 29 and July 30 (Friday at 7 pm, and Saturday at 2 pm and 7 pm).
PAY RATE: STIPEND POSITION ($5,000) Housing provided if necessary. Valid drivers license and car required. Deadline for application: December 1, 2021
Submit resume and cover letter:
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a background check and affirmation of artist and youth policies.
Proctors Collaborative is committed to building a workplace that is both creative and progressive. To that end, we seek a broad spectrum of candidates including women, people of color, all cultural backgrounds and persons with disabilities. We celebrate individual differences and we strive to treat everyone with fairness and respect.
Proctors Collaborative does not discriminate in practices or employment opportunities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veterans’ status, age, or any other characteristic prot