CHOREOGRAPHER – HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL THEATRE AWARDS
Proctors Collaborative is the Capital District’s leading regional arts organization with performing arts venues in Albany, Schenectady and Saratoga, and education, civic engagement and economic development initiatives throughout the region. We’re changing expectations about how the arts serve a community.
The Collaborative School of the Arts at Proctors will present the 6th annual HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL THEATRE AWARDS (HSMTA) in partnership with The Broadway League and the Times Union. This program celebrates the achievements of the region’s theatre students, highlighting the importance of musical theatre and arts education in the greater Capital Region of New York State.
The HSMTA program culminates on the Mainstage at Proctors with an award ceremony, on May 14th,
2022 modeled after the Tony Awards®, to recognize outstanding musical theatre productions and students. Winners are announced for each category interspersed with lively production numbers from the shows nominated for Best Musical and finalists for Best Actor and Best Actress. Additionally, students selected from each participating school perform in the opening and closing numbers. A live orchestra accompanies all of these performances, with direction, musical direction and choreography by
Local theatre professionals.
The Collaborative School of the Arts is seeking a choreographer with professional experience to stage the opening and closing numbers of the production and potentially other elements of the ceremony.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Choreograph and teach opening and closing number for HSMTA final ceremony.
- Attend rehearsals for ceremony and lead all chorography rehearsals.
- Film teaching/rehearsals videos for opening and closing chorography to send to schools/teachers with help of Director and administration.
- Attend production meetings for final ceremony.
- 3-5 years’ professional experience choreographing large cast musicals.
- Must have teaching experience and love working with students.
- Experience working with large group of performers (50-60 students).
- Ability to work with a range of dance experience from novice to experienced.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Well organized and strong leader.
- Must be dependable and self-motivated.
- Must have professional demeanor and appearance.
- Must have the ability to work and communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Must be a team player that is able to work well with others.
- Must possess strong verbal and written skills.
-Must be available for all rehearsals between May 7th and 14th, 2022, production meetings as required, and ceremony of May 14th.
PAY RATE: STIPEND POSITION: $1,500
Deadline for application: February 15, 2022
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check. This is a temporary position with no benefits.
Proctors is an equal opportunity employer.
Submit resume, cover letter and two samples of your choreography work with large casts to your application in the ADP portal. All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a background check and affirmation of artist and youth policies.
Proctors Collaborative is committed to building a workplace that is both creative and progressive. To that end, we seek a broad spectrum of candidates including women, people of color, all cultural backgrounds, and persons with disabilities. We celebrate individual differences, and we strive to treat everyone with fairness and respect.
Proctors Collaborative does not discriminate in practices or employment opportunities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veterans’ status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.