Not So Common Players Announces Auditions for “Nice Work If You Can Get It”
About the Show:
A new take on the 1920s musical farce, “Nice Work If You Can Get It” features the iconic music of George and Ira Gershwin. Billie Bendix, a tough-as-nails bootlegger, and wealthy playboy Jimmy Winter, meet on the weekend of his impending wedding. Jimmy has a habit of marrying chorus girls, but needs to settle down with a respectable woman before his mother will hand over the family business. He has gotten engaged to Eileen Evergreen, the self-proclaimed finest interpreter of modern dance, hoping that this will be a better choice than his usual chorus dancer. Needing somewhere to stash 400 bottles of gin, Billie swipes Jimmy’s wallet and hides her stash in his empty Long Island beach house. However, when the wedding party arrives at the beach house, the bootleggers must juggle the guests and their business. With a Drama Desk award for Outstanding Book of a Musical, “Nice Work If You Can Get It” is a definite crowd-pleaser that will have audiences singing along in the aisles.
Director: Stephen Foust
Music Director: Emily Rose
Producers: Christine Meglino & John Meglino
Choreographer: Betsy Rees
Production Dates and Location:
July 22nd-24th and July 28th-31st.
All performances start at 8PM on The Clifton Commons stage (outdoors)
• Sunday, May 22nd and Wednesday, May 25th, at 7pm. Sign in begins at 6:30pm
• You only need to attend one of these sessions.
• If needed, Callbacks will be held on Thursday, May 26th (invitation only)
Clifton Park Senior Community Center
6 Clifton Common Blvd, Clifton Park, NY 12065
What to Prepare/Bring:
• Please prepare 16 to 32 bars of music from a Broadway show – ideally in a style similar to the show or from the show itself.
• Please bring your own sheet music; an accompanist will be provided. We kindly ask that you bring music with both a piano and vocal line.
• Readings from the script will be provided.
•. Please bring appropriate dance clothing/shoes. Everyone will participate in a dance call during auditions.
• Please bring a calendar with all your conflicts to the audition as well.
The health and safety of our artists, staff, and audience members are our first priority. All actors, staff, and crew will need to show proof that they are fully vaccinated by the time rehearsal begins.
• Rehearsals will be held on Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings, and on Sunday afternoons. This is subject to change based on cast/crew availability.
• Rehearsals will begin on Wednesday, June 1st.
• Attendance is mandatory for Tech Week (July 16th-21st) and all performances.
All roles are available and are open to actors of all ethnicities and gender identities.
Jimmy Winter — A wealthy and handsome playboy, dripping with charm and charisma. Baritone/Tenor
Billie Bendix — A tough, feisty and street-wise young woman. Partners in rum-running with Cookie and Duke.
Cookie McGee — A fast-talking, wise-cracking bootlegger.Baritone
Eileen Evergreen — Thin and lovely, she is the self-proclaimed finest interpreter of modern dance in the world.Soprano
Duke Mahoney — Cookie’s sidekick. Not the brightest guy around. Baritone
Senator Max Evergreen — Eileen’s father. A humorless career politician. Serious, stern, judgmental.Non-Singing
Duchess Estonia Dulworth — Duchess of Woodford. A noted prohibitionist and bejeweled dowager.Soprano
Jeannie Muldoon — A lovely chorus girl from Brooklyn.Mezzo Soprano
Chief Berry — Chief of the Long Island Police Department. Fiercely dedicated to his job.Baritone
Millicent Winter — A wealthy matron with great élan. Jimmy’s mother.Non-Singer
The Chorus Girls:
The Vice Squad: